Home

In Depth

St. Christopher's Church, Saturna Island BC
Raising the roofs: Saturna churches

The settlement of Saturna began in 1869 when Peter Frasier became the first landowner.  In 1884 Warburton Pike and Charles Payne bought 1400 acres from Charles Trueworthy (in the area that is now the winery and the Campbell farm.)

Charles was the first member of the Payne family siblings to settle here, but in 1886 his brother Gerald came and he worked on the ranch with Warburton and Charles for six years before buying his own 900 acres where he built the house now known as the Breezy Bay B & B.  Brother Harold came to visit in 1891, returning in 1894 to run the store at Saturna...

Share