The Recycling Centre is operated by the Recycling Committee of the Saturna Island Community Club with the goal of diverting reusable waste material from the Hartland Land Fill in Saanich. Beer, pop and wine bottles and cans help pay for the operating costs of the Centre, while the disposal of other materials such as general glass and mixed paper is paid for by Recycling. The CRD provides a grant in support of the Centre’s operating costs. The recycling Centre now accepts most plastics, including bottle caps and plastic pop and beer rings. These are dangerous to the wildlife.
The centre asks that recycling be clean and especially clear of food waste.
Hours of Operation: Wednesday and Saturday 10:00 to 12:00 noon
Materials accepted include the following clean material:
- Mixed waste paper, newspapers and glossy magazines
- Paint, both cans & aerosols
- Styrofoam, polyurethane foam and polyethylene foam
- Cans, both steel and aluminum
- All Glass (no ceramics)
- Empty oil and antifreeze containers, with the tops on, please
- Beer and Wine and liquor bottles – all caps removed
- Pop cans & pop bottles with caps removed
- Most plastics - drink containers – milk jugs, water bottles, etc.
- Soft plastic film & bags that don’t crackle
- Tetra Pak containers (juice, milk and soup)
- Gable top containers (juice and milk)
- Incandescent light bulbs, fluorescent tubes, UV and germicidal lights
- Household batteries
- Foil composite bags
- CD / DVD 's and their cases
- Printer & toner cartridges
- Fabric & shoes
- Small electronics
Blue Boxes are also available for $15.00
The Free Store at the Recycle Centre accepts clean, usable items. These are available to anyone needing such items. A donation can be made but is not required. Visit the Free Store and see what is available and the kinds of things you might want to donate.
Annual Garage Sale, with proceeds going towards specific community projects, is held on the Saturday of the May long weekend, at the Recycling Centre. Watch for the notice for dates to donate your reusable items, and then come to shop for incredible bargains and perfectly good treasures.
Volunteers are always needed to help sort materials, flatten cardboard and do numerous other tasks at the Centre. To join this group of volunteers check at the Recycling Centre or phone Nancy Gerber at 539-8080 or e-mail email@example.com.